Sunday, July 24, 2011

Roar your heart out!

Tiger's Quest
By: Colleen Houck
Reported by: Juli Helms

Kelsey Hayes is no ordinary college freshman. In fact, the eighteen-year-old girl has just returned from India, where she risked her life—and her heart—to rescue a handsome Indian prince from a terrible curse. Back home in Oregon, Kelsey is determined to move on, despite the lingering feelings she has for the man she left behind. She meets Li, a completely average guy who offers the promise of an ordinary, curse-free life. But just when Kelsey is ready to move on, Ren reenters her life, on a quest to reclaim her heart. Danger threatens their newly rekindled love and to save him, Kelsey must journey with someone else—a man who wants her for himself. The saga begun in Tiger’s Curse continues in Tiger’s Quest, as Kelsey finds herself in an epic battle between good and evil. From the shores of the Pacific Northwest to the jungles of India, the mountains of Nepal and Tibet, and the mystical realm of Shangri-la, this suspenseful tale of love, sacrifice, and redemption is not to be missed.
-Summary from Goodreads


"Forget wizards. Forget werewolves. Forget vampires.
Tigers are the new hottest thing. "
-RT BookLovers Review

In Tiger's Quest, we continue the journey started in Tiger's Curse. This is an amazing series, with no flaws but one--the ending.
     I'm sure those of you who have read this book will agree with me: Another cliff-hanger?! 
     But let me start with the good things first. Things that I loved about this book and the saga as a whole:
     The originality. While there are many books with curses, adventures, mysteries, and romance lying around, the Tiger Saga is actually quite unique. It brings in new heroes into the literary world, beyond the paranormal creatures that buzz around with popularity. The Tiger Saga interweaves mythology with adventure, and the details with careful plotting elaborates the story. It is a combination of what are perhaps the most popular yet also intriguing ideas in the literary world into a wondrous story written to meet your expectations.
     That's not all. I very much appreciated the great pacing of this book. While the series does not necessarily guarantee a cry of triumph or tears of happiness regularly throughout its procession, you can't help but keep reading on, hoping on thin threads that the characters will survive through their predicaments unscathed.
     But the romance and the way it ties into the book, acting as such an essential part of it all is perhaps the most awe-striking and furious element in this saga. From heartfelt declarations to breathtaking decisions, this series is literally an emotional roller-coaster--and it doesn't end with a full, happy feeling in your body. 
     Since all of my reviews are to be spoiler-free, no matter which installment of a series I'm reviewing, I will just say this about the one flaw in this book that made me gape and cry and--ultimately, take a little bitty star away because of its shock:
     The cliff-hanger at the end of this book is not like normal cliff-hangers. I thought I knew all about suspense, but Colleen Houck gives the word a whole new definition. I'm not sure whether I should be more awed by how she comes up with such wanting-to-make-you-scream cliff-hangers or by how she is persistent to keep up the cliff-hangers work in spite of the readers' cry of protest. 
     But all in all, this series is a must-read. I may turn to iron (or a cotton-ball, depending on the situation) when I reach the conclusion, but the story itself is mesmerizing, and I personally cannot wait to read Tiger's Voyage, the third installment of the saga coming out November 1st of this year.

2 comments:

  1. I DEFINITELY agree. That cliffhanger made me so mad to the point that I very much wanted to throw it acroos the room. But then, a little voice reminded me, If I wreck this book, i wont be able to read it over and over again, as it deserves to be read more than a hundred times. But really...WHYWHYWHYWHYWHY!!! Too much suspense, if you ask me. If I could, I would march right up to Colleen Houck's editor and demand that the book be released AS SOON AS IT IS FINISHED. If it doesn't come soon, I probably will roar my heart out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, the same goes for me, Natari! :)

    ReplyDelete

Please do leave a response! I love hearing back from you all! :) I respond to comments here on the blog, so if you'd like me to reply to you via e-mail, just state so in your comment. Also, this is an award-free zone. I love and superbly appreciate all of your generous thoughts; I'm just terrible at returning your kind favor.

Thanks for stopping by!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...