Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Starcrossed

Starcrossed
By: Josephine Angelini
Reported by: Julianna Helms
Source: Mrs. Nelson's Toy and Book Shop (thank you!)

Helen Hamilton has always tried to hide how different she is—no easy feat on an island as small as Nantucket, and only getting harder as she finds herself haunted by hallucinations and vivid nightmares.

It's not until she crosses paths with Lucas Delos at school that Helen's true heritage is finally revealed. Yet even as Lucas helps her awaken to her startling powers, they can never be together—not unless they can break free from the tragic destiny the Three Fates have in store.

-Summary via Josie's website
Mrs. Nelson's||Barnes&Noble||Amazon||The Book Depository

I love this book so much I hate it.


To paraphrase the fantastic Phoebe North:  I hate it because I hate its ending. I hate it because I hate how obsessed it made me feel. I hate it because I was such a fan-girl that I wasn't even like my usual quiet, slightly cynical self.

But hey, I don't want to talk about the rest of this book, at least not just yet. Because, HOLY GODS OF THE WORLD, Lucas Delos!!!! Ohhh holy hedgehogs, please help me. I am DYING over here over my swooning. Ahem. No, like, seriously? Didn't I warn you about the fan-girling? Because Lucas is pretty much perfection. (quick note here: some people refer to Lucas as "Edward," but someone please explain that to me because I see no connection whatsoever. What Lucas does it actually for a legitimate reason, and he tries his best to work Helen's preferences into the things he has to do, so that she won't have to suffer as much. You call that Edward? Really? Since when did Edward become so... amazing?)(But that's just my opinion. You tell me.)

Well, now that that's out of the way...

No, not really. Because I have something else to say, and this is slightly spoilery, so I've highlighted it. Only drag your mouse over the highlighted text if you've read Starcrossed or don't care about spoilers!

You just HAD to pull a Cassandra Clare on me, Josie, didn't you? *headdesk*

Anyway. I know that this review isn't how my reviews usually are, but this is one of those books that didn't consume me emotionally, but was so freakin' entertaining and brilliant that I resorted to my fan-girl voice. But let me address some other awesome elements in this book before someone puts a restraining order on me: the mythology. That was just fantastic. I absolutely love love love Greek mythology, so this was like a home run for me. This book was also very understandable--even though it weaved complex back story with a charging front line, it never became confusing or dragging. Though, I suppose the highly relatable characters had something to do with it. I once saw someone call Helen "ditsy," but that's the last word I'd use to describe her. She's a bit clueless and very sweet, I think, but not ditsy. Though that's just what I think. I'd love to be friends with her. And of course, how can I not mention the beautiful setting of Nantucket, or the heart-warming relationship Helen has with her dad that has become almost extinct in the YA world nowadays?

Overall, Starcrossed is ambrosia for everyone yearning for row after row of gourmet delicacies and a cast that entertains, enchants, and inflames.
The Reviews News

3 comments:

  1. I felt the exact same way! I love this book but the whole *spoiler* incest thing made me go insane-in a good way. Cassandra Clare already did this to us why do we have to go through it again? :( But I still absolutely adored this book and I cannot wait for Dreamless (it was my first Waiting on Wednesday ever)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been wanting to read this one for a while! New follower here...your blog is so darn cute, I stole your button for my blogroll :)
    Jessi @ Auntie Spinelli Reads

    ReplyDelete
  3. @lollybee I can't wait for Dreamless either!
    @Jessi Aw, thank you! :D

    ReplyDelete

Please do leave a response! I love hearing back from you all! :) I respond to comments here on the blog, so if you'd like me to reply to you via e-mail, just state so in your comment. Also, this is an award-free zone. I love and superbly appreciate all of your generous thoughts; I'm just terrible at returning your kind favor.

Thanks for stopping by!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...