Tuesday, May 15, 2012

For the Greeks!

Dreamless
By: Josephine Angelini
Reported by: Julianna Helms
Source: ARC Tour
Release date: May 29th, 2012 from HarperTeen

As the only Scion that can enter Hades at will, Helen descends to the Underworld in search of a way to overcome the Furies and end the cycle of revenge that has cursed the Scions. But she’s running out of time. Each descent weakens her both in mind and spirit. A mysterious stranger might be her only salvation, but the price may be her love for Lucas Delos.

As an unforgettable love triangle emerges, Josephine Angelini’s compelling saga becomes ever more intricate and spellbinding. The eagerly awaited sequel to the internationally bestselling Starcrossed, Dreamless delivers with a huge emotional impact that will leave readers satisfied—and longing for more.


-Summary from Goodreads
 Pre-order: Mrs. Nelson's (support my local indie store!)||Barnes&Noble||Amazon||Book Depository

Josephine Angelini has the uncanny ability to tread uncharted waters and come back with loads of gold in her hands. In other words: what was an aggravating tale of insatiable love, a tale that spanned centuries with infamy and worship--the epic of Helen and Paris--has been transformed completely by Josephine Angelini into an addicting series gleaming with beauty.


It has been established, hopefully, that I am as big of a Greek mythology fanatic as they come, and I am not the first to say that this book is not for everyone. It's entertaining and fascinating, of course, but the true core of this novel lies within its ability to reincarnate lost characters into ones radiating with compassion and believability. For fellow geeks of Greek mythology, and others who yearn for a world fastened with gods and weaved with power, Dreamless captures and re-captures the fulfillment of that wish numerous times.

This book is obsessive and gorgeous. I just couldn't stop reading it; it was as if I myself was stuck within the lines smothered between words, trying to claw my way out of Helen and Lucas's mesmerizing world yet failing to do so without much care at all. It's Josie's prose, I think, that makes this book such a gripping one: she tells you everything you want to know, but the characters don't know it, and you're just sitting there waiting for them to just freakin' wake up already and see. But it's not the type of frustration that results from annoyance: it's a frustration comprised of your own desires as well as the characters; a concoction that truly glues the reader to the page, I believe.

Before I wrap up this review, let's talk about Orion. Ah, yes, Orion: the boy I hated from the moment I read the summary--how could I not, when Helen and Lucas's love was so fragile and so, therefore, also beautiful? But within pages of meeting him, I couldn't help but understand Helen's attraction to Orion as well, for Orion is a charismatic boy who tries so hard to help everyone else; he's altruistically brave, but he's not stupid, and he's understanding as well. So I must say that, even if you believe in Helen and Lucas's love ferociously and fiercely, please don't let it deter you from opening your eyes to try and understand. It's difficult, but I believe that there are roads you never would've seen once you let Josie carry you away in her words.

Greek mythology has constructed a vital and irreplaceable contribution to our very society and government, no matter where in the world you are. Similarly, Josephine Angelini is a storyteller mastering the YA mythological world, and wherever we travel with her next, I know the ride will be as at ease and thrilling as one could dare to dream.

P.S. Check out my review of the first book in the trilogy, Starcrossed
The Reviews News

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please do leave a response! I love hearing back from you all! :) I respond to comments here on the blog, so if you'd like me to reply to you via e-mail, just state so in your comment. Also, this is an award-free zone. I love and superbly appreciate all of your generous thoughts; I'm just terrible at returning your kind favor.

Thanks for stopping by!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...