Monday, June 11, 2012

Erasing Time

Erasing Time
By: C. J. Hill
Reported by: Julianna Helms
Source: ARC via Tour
Release date: Aug. 28th, 2012 from Katherine Tegen Books/HarperCollins

In this high-action and romantic futuristic adventure, there is no escape from the future for two contemporary girls pulled out of their own time.

When twins Sheridan and Taylor wake up 400 years in the future, they find a changed world: domed cities, no animals, and a language that’s so different, it barely sounds like English. And the worst news: They can’t go back home.

The twenty-fifth-century government transported the girls to their city hoping to find a famous scientist to help perfect a devastating new weapon. The moblike Dakine fights against the government, and somehow Taylor and Sheridan find themselves in the middle. The only way to elude them all is to trust Echo, a guy with secrets of his own. The trio must put their faith in the unknown to make a harrowing escape into the wilds beyond the city.

Full of adrenaline-injected chases and heartbreaking confessions, Erasing Time explores the strength of the bonds between twins, the risks and rewards of trust, and the hard road to finding the courage to fight for what you believe in.


-Summary from Goodreads
Pre-order: Mrs. Nelson's (support indie stores!)||Barnes&Noble||Amazon||Book Depository

Erasing Time is the most realistic dystopian novel I have ever read. There are word evolutions, government changes, but not only that, they make sense. I'm not saying other dystopian stories aren't conceivable; simply that the changes utilized in Erasing Time are already ones we can see building today.


Starting with a bang and ending with one, Erasing Time is certainly a thrilling dystopian novel that does justice for the over-littered genre. Its characters are well-developed and have an authentic sort of relationship. I have these friends who are twins, and they are so very different from the stereotypical "twin" ideals. It made me extremely glad to see Sheridan and Taylor portrayed in a way that is natural yet does not invade the dreaded stereotypical property. Not only that, but these girls are clever as well. However, that raises one problem, which is pretty much the only one I had throughout the entire book:

Inconsistency.

Sometimes the twins, or Echo, or someone else, would figure out a twist lightning fast with no preceding reasons.Often, these plot reveals acted more like a tool to enhance and speed up the story rather than to enhance a character. While it's good to progress your plot, I didn't feel like sudden, out-of-thin-air explanations were the best idea. Of course, maybe I'm just not bright enough for these things, but considering I self-learned college-leveled ancient Latin in two weeks over the summer and got an "A" on a test that my college friend gave me, I figure I have a good enough reason to suspect inconsistency. (That was not, of course, meant to brag in any way. I only mentioned it because I thought it would be relevant to the improvement of this review.) Not only that, but there were these moments where Taylor and/or Sheridan actually revealed major plot points (and in a quite obvious way) that the others didn't ever mention about. I've listed some of those spoilers on my Goodreads review, but mostly it's simply a matter of distribution and how information is utilized that didn't work out in the favor for this book.


Overall, though, Erasing Time was fascinating with it theories and palpable with its dangers. It's one heck of a thrill ride and I enjoyed it way more than I thought I would. Hopefully, you will, too.
The Reviews News

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please do leave a response! I love hearing back from you all! :) I respond to comments here on the blog, so if you'd like me to reply to you via e-mail, just state so in your comment. Also, this is an award-free zone. I love and superbly appreciate all of your generous thoughts; I'm just terrible at returning your kind favor.

Thanks for stopping by!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...